This page is all about mold and health.
mold, mycotoxins, and mold toxicity
What is a mycotoxin?
A mycotoxin is toxic to vertebrates. They are produced by fungal growth. These fungal toxins generally are low molecular weight volatile organic chemical compounds that are similar in chemical structure to ketones, aldehydes, alcohols, and aromatic and aliphatic compounds.
How do mycotoxins enter the body?
Mycotoxins are lipid or fat soluble being absorbed by the intestinal lining, through contact with the skin, and through inhalation.
How do I know mycotoxins are in my body?
There are laboratory analyses to determine if mycotoxins are stored in body tissue.
Why do I need to eliminate mycotoxins from body tissue?
- Mycotoxins are cytotoxic. They can be acutely or chronically toxic depending on the kind and amount of the toxic exposure. Repeated exposure to a particular mycotoxin or exposure to multiple mycotoxins can have cumulative and differing effects from those experienced by a single mycotoxin exposure.
- Mycotoxin exposure can affect the central nervous system causing headaches, depression and incoordination. It can act as an immune suppressant and be carcinogenic. Many can attack the liver, the kidney, and the respiratory system. Mycotoxin exposure can be a serious health threat.
How do I eliminate mycotoxins from my body?
- Specific nutrients and medications can be used to try to eliminate mycotoxins from the body.
- Oxygen therapy is used by some to help in eliminating them from tissue.
- Deep heat chamber depuration therapy is also used to remove these stored toxins.
- Environmental controls and dietary manipulations are employed with some of these methods to aid the process of returning the body to a state of health.
- Immune therapy and skin testing and immunotherapy can be added to the arsenal of eliminating these toxins from tissue and organs and in restoring their proper functioning.
How do I determine the best treatments for me?
You want to choose a medical facility:
- Which is experienced in treating mold and mycotoxin exposure,
- Which can perform the tests necessary to determine the toxicity and the sensitivity response of your entire body to the exposure,
- Which can assist you in proper remediation procedures of your home and its contents,
- Which is committed to treating the whole person,
- Which offers several treatment modalities to combat the many aspects and effects of mold and mycotoxin exposure.
The Environmental Health Center-Dallas is the correct choice. Call 214-373-5146 to initiate recovery.
Is there anyone working to develop standards for the amount of mold buildings can have to make them livable/workable?
NIOSH, EPA and OSHA have, through careful analysis, developed what they consider to be allowable and safe exposure levels for certain chemicals in the workplace. These and other agencies governing indoor air quality have specific allowable levels for molds and particulates.
These levels may not be acceptable to everyone. They may not be acceptable to persons who have previously experienced exposure to molds and mycotoxins or who are affected by environmental illness. Also, persons exhibit biological uniqueness. Therefore there is not, nor will there ever be, acceptable levels for everyone.
Articles by Dr. Rea and Staff at EHC-D
EXPOSURE TO MOLD CAN BE A DANGEROUS EXPOSURE
Mold exposure is exposure to an allergen and can affect sinuses, ears, throat, and lungs. A mold is a tiny simple-cell organism with no leaves, stems or flowers. They do not grow their own food; they have no green coloring matter or chlorophyll, but depend on plants, animals or decaying vegetable matter for their food. [...]
A DETAILED APPROACH TO MOLD AND MYCOTOXIN EXPOSURE
William J. Rea, M.D., F.A.C.S., F.A.A.E.M. Mold and mycotoxin exposures have come to the forefront of illness due to faulty construction, leaks, and other forms of moisture intrusion which allow them to grow indoors. Many houses have been contaminated with molds and mycotoxins thus making the inhabitants ill. [...]
CAN MOLD CROSS CONTAMINATION OCCUR IN MOVING ITEMS FROM ONE LOCATION TO ANOTHER?
Cross contamination can occur in moving furnishings or household items from one location to another. Items which have been in areas: where mold was visible, where tests indicated the presence of molds, where molds were present in the ductwork of the climate control system. [...]
MOLD EXPOSURE TREATMENT
MOLD TOXICITY OR POISONING? There are many mold toxins that can cause health problems, particularly the Aflatoxins, Ochratoxins, Safratoxins, Gliotoxins, and Tricothecenes, […]
MOLD EXPOSURE: SKIN TESTING AND TREATMENT
Why are skin testing and treatment important to the treatment of mold exposure? Why is it important to treat the sensitivity response of your body to mold? Mold is an allergen and causes an immune system response. This sensitivity response can lead to irritation and infection. Mold exposure can progress from a sensitivity response to […]
MOLD AND MYCOTOXINS
Have you been exposed to mold and mycotoxins? Do you have mold toxicity? Do you have sensitivity to mold and their mycotoxins? Do musty odors bother you? Have you worked or lived in a building where the air vents were discolored? Have you noticed water damage or discoloration on ceilings or elsewhere? Has your home […]
IN A NUTSHELL: CLEANING ITEMS EXPOSED TO MOLD AND MYCOTOXINS, WATER DAMAGE, AND BACTERIA
All items or materials which have mold growing on them must be removed from the home. This needs to be performed by professionals following specific guidelines. Protective clothing, negative air pressure, containment barriers and HEPA air scrubbers should be employed by the remediators. […]
IN A NUTSHELL TREATMENT FOR MOLD AND MYCOTOXIN EXPOSURE
Lab analyses: IgG, IgM, IgA, IgG Subclasses 1,2,3,4, Total Complement, Complement C3, Complement C4, T and B Lymphocyte Panel with H/S Ratio and NK cells, Delayed Immune Test (DIT), Venous Blood Gas, Urine Mycotoxins. Treatment: History and Physical in a controlled environment, Skin testing and treatment of common indoor and outdoor molds, favorite and common […]
FOREST FIRES IN CALIFORNIA
The Environmental Health Center-Dallas recognizes and shares in the tragedy presented by the recent forest fires in California. We are here to help. Here are a few suggestions: Discard water-soaked or severely smoke-damaged items. Clothing must be dry cleaned or washed in an appropriate detergent and borax. Careful use of ozone for remediation of […]